Maybe you haven’t jumped on the essential oils bandwagon yet. Maybe you have never had any luck with so-called “alternative treatments.” Are you curious about essential oils for skin but have some reservations?
Let’s talk about it.
What Are Essential Oils?
- An essential oil is a concentrated oil extracted from a plant. It retains the fragrance (or “essence”) of the plant from which it is extracted.
- The plant source can be a flower, leaf, root, bud, seed, stem, or fruit (including rind or peel).
- Essential oils are extracted naturally: either through steam or water distillation, cold pressing, or carbon dioxide extraction.
- Oils created synthetically are not considered authentic essential oils.
- Essential oils are diluted in a neutral carrier oil to create a product safe and effective for use.
- Essential oils are used for many types of products, including skin care.
- Essential oils can be absorbed into the skin.
Are Essential Oils Safe for Skin?
Generally, yes. You may have read that essential oils can irritate skin. This is true. Essential oils are powerful. If not used correctly, they can irritate skin. If using essential oils for skin care, do some research or rely on experts trained in the use of essential oils.
In some people with sensitive skin, some essential oils can make your skin more sensitive to the sun. Others can trigger allergic reactions. Oils not properly diluted could “burn” skin. But these are more the exception than the rule.
Why Would You Want To Use Essential Oils On Your Skin?
There are tons of benefits and if used correctly, essential oils can:
- Brighten skin
- Tone skin
- Nourish skin
- Prevent acne breakouts
- Stimulate collagen production
- Tighten pores
- Perk up tired skin
- Cleanse and disinfect
- Relieve dry skin
- Reduce inflammation
- Boost immunity
- Restore damaged skin
- Lighten sunspots
- Firm sagging skin
If you are a beginner, I wouldn’t suggest mixing your own creams using essential oils. Even if diluted properly, you may not receive the benefits you are seeking.
Rely On Essential Oil Experts
Rely on essential oil experts. These people know how to use essential oils and combine them with other botanicals to reap the maximum benefit.
Here are some of the best essential oils for skin, according to the specialists:
- Australian Eucalyptus
- Australian Tea Tree
- Australian Kunzea
- Australian Rosalina
- Evening Primrose
- Australian Fragonia™
- Australian Sandalwood Seed oil
- Australian Buddha Wood
- Rose Otto
- Ylang Ylang
- Clary Sage
You may have never heard of some of these. There are hundreds of essential oils currently used with great results. And thousands more yet to be discovered. (Our beautiful planet provides an amazing abundance of flora.) Interestingly, many of the worlds most powerful oils come from Australian Outback native plants.
If mainstream skin care products are not working for you, I invite you to try botanical skin care products with essential oils. Just make sure the manufacturer has a team of essential oil specialists as we do here at Australiana Botanicals. We specialize in the highest quality of botanical skin care possible. We use all botanical ingredients and avoid any synthetic or harmful ingredients. We follow the same quality philosophy with our essential oil range as well.
Thanks for visiting our natural skin care blog.